Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Queen's Martian Rifles by M.E. Brines


Title: The Queen's Martian Rifles
Author: M.E. Brines
Genre: Sci fi/ Steampunk
Publisher: Self (November 5, 2011)
Available: $2.99 at Barnes and Noble
Rating: 5 stars
Rater: Dihanna

From the publisher:
Does the secret to the origin of Mankind lie within the Great Pyramid of Mars? In this alternate steampunk adventure, the technical genius, Nicola Tesla, invented an anti-gravity coil that made steam-powered spaceships possible in the last decades of the 19th century. But the British empire, and the other western colonial powers have powerful extraterrestrial enemies no one suspects even exist.

What I liked: This was my first steampunk novel, and I was a little reluctant to read it. What I found, however, was a completely original, eclectic story – including travel to Mars! – with a pleasantly twisting plot and characters I really got into. The story moves quickly, and doesn’t take too long to be told.

What I didn’t like:  There is some religious stuff that I could have done without. Doesn’t detract from the story, though.

In sum: This book convinced me that steampunk isn’t a genre to scared of. If you’re considering it, this is a good one to start with.

No comments:

Post a Comment